Friday, October 25, 2013

Dream Job

This week was Red Ribbon Week at our school and yesterday was “Dress up as Your Dream Career” Day.  I came to school dressed with a reading t-shirt and black pants (forgot to take picture).  When the kids asked me what my dream job was I replied, “A Librarian!”  They would say, “But you already are a librarian” and I would say back, “I know!  Isn’t it great that I am already doing my dream job?!”

And that is the truth.  I LOVE being a librarian and I can’t imagine doing anything else.  I was a classroom teacher for 10 years and while I liked doing that, nothing is better than this.  I love that I get to work with all the kids in my K-5 school.  I love that I get to try to work with all the teachers.  I love that I can get kids excited about reading or introduce them to a new series that they then devour.  I love that I get to be a creative and step outside the confines of our district’s scope and sequence and while I always focus on our state standard when I am supporting or enriching the classroom curriculum, I can take risks with technology and projects that the classroom teachers don’t have time to.  I love that I can make the teachers’ jobs a little easier by finding them resources or fixing a simple technology issue.  I love that I get to brainstorm and work with the other great librarians in my district.  I love that I get to read all the new books before the students (or at least try to) and then can honestly say “yes” when they ask me if I've read that book.  I love that the students think it is fun to come to the library.  I just love being a librarian!

No comments:

Post a Comment