Tuesday, February 28, 2017

Technology Tuesday: Virtual Field Trips for 2nd Grade

Last week I talked about the Virtual Fields trips I learned about at TCEA including the Expeditions app that had teacher-led tours.  My 2nd graders are going to be researching Landmarks and Symbols and this was a perfect opportunity to try out this engaging activity.  Unfortunately, the Expeditions app didn't work right for me. I could never get the students connected to my teacher tour. So onto Plan B.

I used google maps to look up the places I wanted the students to visit.

By picking up the little yellow guy in the bottom right corner and dropping him on any of the blue dots that show up on the map you can drop right into a 360 view of that area.  


Once you drop him the screen will change to the 360 view.  

Then just copy the URL and use that for the students.  I put mine on our libguide, but you could make a google doc or whatever to share with the students. 

Our students had such a fabulous time "visiting" these places.  I loved hearing their excitement as they stood under the Washington Monument and looked up or stood at the edge of the Grand Canyon and looked down. 

After about 30 minutes of exploring, I called them to the carpet and projected some of the places on the Expedition App that I couldn't capture using Google maps.

This was such an engaging way to get them excited about the research that was coming up. 

2 comments:

  1. Glad you found a workaround. Expeditions certainly has potential, but it seems like they are still working out the kinks/building capacity. I got to see a demo of a Google Expeditions kit, but the nearly $10,000 price tag seems to put it out of reach for small districts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you found a workaround. Expeditions certainly has potential, but it seems like they are still working out the kinks/building capacity. I got to see a demo of a Google Expeditions kit, but the nearly $10,000 price tag seems to put it out of reach for small districts.

    ReplyDelete